Application Options at Westmark Credit UnionLoan Applications in Idaho

Apply quickly and securely online

Loans & Credit Cards

Applying for a loan is quick, easy and secure.

apply now

Mortgage Loans

Use our Mortgage Center to apply for these types of Mortgage Loans.

  • First Mortgages
  • First Time Home Buyer
  • Construction Loans


Secondary Accounts

If you are existing member, you can open the following accounts online:

  • Certificate Account
  • Savings
  • Money Market
  • Checking with Debit Card
  • Savings

Open Account


To qualify for membership, you must be one of the following:

  • Employed by or retired from one of our several hundred Member Firms, employer groups, or associations.
  • A blood relative of a current Westmark member.
  • Employed by or retired from most employers located in one of our 34 counties throughout Idaho.

To become a member, a qualified candidate must open a Primary Savings Account (Share Suffix 00) and deposit a minimum of $5.00 per member.

become a member

Member Service Requests

At Westmark, we're always here to help. Need help with your account? Please note that many member service requests can be handled online for your convenience!

Change of Address Form

Do you need to update your address on your membership account?

change of address form

Share Draft and ACH Stop Payment Form

Use this form to put a stop on a check you have written or an electronic ACH withdrawal from your account.

share draft or ACH stop payment FORM

Travel Notification Form

Traveling out of the area or out of the country? Send us a notification to avoid issues with using your Westmark debit and credit cards.

travel notification FORM

Wire Transfer Request Form

Send us the information to submit an outgoing wire transfer request.

wire transfer request foRM

Inactive Account Activation Request

Use this form to update your information and keep your account active with Westmark Credit Union.

Inactive Account Activation Request FORM

If your requested service is not shown above or you would prefer to talk directly to a Financial Service Representative, call our Member Service Center.